Have a Super Bowl Party Game Plan
DISTRACTED DRIVING KEY MESSAGING
- Every Super Bowl Party and partier must have a game plan that prevents drunk or impaired driving
- Getting a DUI or being involved in a crash is no way to end your Super Bowl Sunday.
- When it comes to our roads, everyone is an MVP, and everyone deserves to get home to their families safely
- Make a game plan!
o Choose a Designated Driver
o Taxi or rideshare
o Take public transportation
o Spend the night
o Leave your car at home
o Download and use the Safer Ride app to your phone, which can help get you home safely
- Volunteer to be a designated driver. Show you’re a team player by offering friends a safe, sober ride home.
- If you’re hosting a Super Bowl party, be a good referee. Make the right call and take their keys before they drink and drive.
The Dangers of Drunk or Impaired Driving
- Drunk driving kills. In 2016 there were 10,497 fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes involving drunk drivers.
- Half of all traffic deaths in Washington involve an impaired driver.
- Driving while high doubles your chance of killing yourself or others in crash.
- There were 278 fatalities involving an impaired driving in Washington in 2016. Nearly 42% of those involved marijuana.
- Would you get in a car with someone who had difficulty steering, impaired perception and concentration, short-term memory loss and lack of speed control? These are all the effects on driving of someone who has a blood alcohol concentration of .08.
- $5,000 fine
- Legal bills of up to $10,000
- 100% increase in insurance rates
- One year in jail
- Suspended license
- Installation of ignition interlock device on your car
DUI Doesn’t mean just Alcohol
Impaired driving includes:
- Illegal drugs
- Prescription drugs
- Many over the counter drugs like Nyquil, Ambien, pain and allergy meds